Trump Warns Venezuela’s President Maduro To Quit Or Face Possible US Military Action: Report

1 hour ago

Last Updated:November 30, 2025, 07:57 IST

US President Donald Trump has warned Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro to step down or risk potential American military action, a report says.

Trump Warns Maduro to Step Down or Face Possible US Military Action, Says Report

Trump Warns Maduro to Step Down or Face Possible US Military Action, Says Report

Tensions between Washington and Caracas have surged after US President Donald Trump warned Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro that refusal to step down voluntarily could trigger the use of American military force. 

According to a Wall Street Journal report, Trump delivered a stark ultimatum during a hotline call on 22 November, telling Maduro he could take the “easy way or hard way," offering safe passage to a friendly capital or face direct US action.

Trump’s warning coincided with a sharply worded public declaration that Venezuela’s airspace should be regarded as “closed in its entirety." Though he holds no legal authority to shut down another sovereign nation’s airspace, the message, addressed to airlines, pilots, “drug dealers and human traffickers", sent shockwaves through the aviation industry. Several carriers swiftly suspended flights to Caracas following the advisory. Venezuela denounced the remarks as a “colonialist threat" and an “illegal and unjustified aggression."

Airspace tensions and US military posturing

The Federal Aviation Administration had already alerted commercial operators to heightened hazards over Venezuela due to military activity and security risks. Trump’s statement, however, pushed the situation to a new level. His administration has framed the intensifying posture as part of a wider clampdown on drug trafficking networks allegedly tied to the Maduro government.

In recent months, US forces have carried out more than 20 strikes on boats Washington claims were ferrying narcotics, resulting in over 80 fatalities. However, no physical evidence has been released to verify that the vessels carried drugs, deepening concerns about the legality and intent of the operations. Venezuelan officials insist the US campaign is designed not to target cartels but to topple Maduro.

The deployment of the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford and supporting assets to the Caribbean underscores Washington’s readiness to escalate. Trump has hinted that land-based operations inside Venezuela could begin “soon," pointing to the threat of force is no longer merely rhetorical.

Caracas pushes back

Venezuela’s foreign ministry condemned Trump’s comments as hostile and destabilising, accusing Washington of attempting to impose regime change under the guise of counter-narcotics operations. Maduro, whose 2024 re-election was rejected by much of the international community as fraudulent, remains defiant, portraying the crisis as another chapter in the nation’s long struggle against US interventionism.

The US designation of the “Cartel de los Soles", which Washington alleges includes senior military figures and Maduro himself, as a foreign terrorist organisation has widened the legal and military latitude available to American agencies. For Caracas, it represents an unprecedented step towards formalising a justification for direct intervention.

The decisive trigger came this November when Trump labelled the entire Venezuelan government a terrorist entity, a move that shattered any remaining diplomatic channels.

Final ultimatum?

Washington’s terms are blunt – Maduro must leave office before Christmas, with safe passage granted to Havana, Moscow or another allied capital, along with access to a negotiated share of offshore assets. If he refuses, the US is prepared to initiate operations that could dismantle the regime within weeks.

Maduro has already rejected the offer. Fuel reserves inside Venezuela have reportedly dropped to 18 per cent, commercial airspace is effectively frozen, and mid-level officers are said to be exploring defection deals. US special operations aircraft are now positioned in Aruba.

Shuddhanta Patra

Shuddhanta Patra

Shuddhanta Patra, a seasoned journalist with eight years of experience, serves as Senior Sub‑Editor at CNN News 18. With expertise across national politics, geopolitics, business news, she has influenced public...Read More

Shuddhanta Patra, a seasoned journalist with eight years of experience, serves as Senior Sub‑Editor at CNN News 18. With expertise across national politics, geopolitics, business news, she has influenced public...

Read More

Location :

Washington D.C., United States of America (USA)

First Published:

November 30, 2025, 07:57 IST

News world Trump Warns Venezuela’s President Maduro To Quit Or Face Possible US Military Action: Report

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Full Article at Source