Austin Tucker Martin, 21, Identified As Armed Intruder Fatally Shot At Trump's Mar-a-Lago

1 hour ago

Last Updated:February 23, 2026, 00:04 IST

A man was shot dead by US Secret Service after breaching Mar-a-Lago with a shotgun. FBI, Secret Service and Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the motive.

 X)

A man was shot dead by US Secret Service after breaching Mar-a-Lago with a shotgun. FBI, Secret Service and Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the motive. (Image: X)

An armed man shot dead by US Secret Service agents after breaching the security perimeter of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida has been identified as 21-year-old Austin Tucker Martin of North Carolina, officials said Sunday.

According to authorities, Martin drove through the north gate of the Palm Beach property at around 1:30 am local time, entering as another vehicle was exiting. He was confronted by two Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy. Investigators said he was carrying a shotgun and a petrol canister.

Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said officers repeatedly ordered Martin to drop the items. While he put down the gas can, he then raised the shotgun into a firing position. Law enforcement personnel responded by opening fire, fatally shooting him at the scene. No officers were injured.

Reported Missing, Motive Under Probe

Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said Martin had been reported missing by his family several days earlier. Investigators believe he travelled from North Carolina to Florida and obtained the shotgun during the trip. A firearm box was later recovered from his vehicle.

Authorities are examining his background, digital footprint and movements in the days leading up to the incident as they work to determine a motive.

The FBI, Secret Service and Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office are jointly investigating the case. FBI Director Kash Patel said the bureau was deploying “all necessary resources" and coordinating closely with federal and local agencies.

The Secret Service has also urged residents near Mar-a-Lago to review home surveillance footage from the early-morning hours and share any relevant recordings.

Trump Briefed; Officials Praise Response

Attorney General Pam Bondi said she had spoken with President Trump and was coordinating with federal partners regarding the intrusion and shooting. She expressed relief that the President and the agents were safe.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt commended the Secret Service for acting “quickly and decisively" to neutralize the armed intruder. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking on television, condemned hostile political rhetoric and said he had also spoken with Trump.

Officials stressed that the motive behind the breach remains under investigation.

The incident adds to a series of security threats involving Trump. In July 2024, he was wounded during an assassination attempt at a campaign rally in Pennsylvania. Two months later, another armed individual was arrested near Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course while he was present at the property.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 22, 2026, 23:16 IST

News world Austin Tucker Martin, 21, Identified As Armed Intruder Fatally Shot At Trump's Mar-a-Lago

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Full Article at Source