Last Updated:February 22, 2026, 19:54 IST
French Foreign Minister To summon US ambassador Charles Kushner over comments on Quentin Deranque's death in Lyon, sparking diplomatic tensions.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot (AP File)
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot on Sunday said US ambassador to France, Charles Kushner, would be summoned over his comments on the death of a French far-right activist earlier this month.
Twenty-three year old Quentin Deranque died two days after he suffered severe head injuries in a brawl in Lyon on February 12. US President Donald Trump criticised the attack while calling the death as the result of left-wing violence.
On Friday, the US embassy in France shared a post on X of the US State Department’s Counterterrorism Bureau which said reports that Deranque “was killed by left-wing militants, should concern us all".
Also Read: Macron Urges Calm After Thousands March In Lyon Over Killing Of Far-Right Activist
“Violent radical leftism is on the rise and its role in Quentin Deranque’s death demonstrates the threat it poses to public safety," it said.
In response, Barrot said in an interview with radio station France Inter: “We are summoning the US ambassador to France because the embassy issued a commentary on this event which concerns the national community. We reject any interference in this event."
According to CNN, the brawl was caught on video, which showed several masked people kicking and punching a man on the ground, causing widespread shock and anger in France. Till now, two people have been charged with murder and a total of 11 people have been arrested.
Also Read: ‘Stop Commenting On Other Countries’: Macron Calls Out Meloni Over France Activist Remark
The incident sparked a diplomatic row between France and Italy, after Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said Deranque’s death was caused “by groups linked to left-wing extremism" and condemned “a climate of ideological hatred sweeping several nations".
Thousands of people marched in Lyon on Saturday after the killing of the far-right activist. Many in the crowd wore surgical masks and sunglasses to hide their faces. They chanted “we are at home" and “antifa assassin".
The march was organised by anti-abortion activist Aliette Espieux, and several far-right groups said they would take part. The far-right party Rally urged supporters to avoid the rally over fears of unrest.
According to Le Monde, it was the first killing allegedly carried out by hard-left individuals since 2022.
Reuters has reported at least five killings allegedly linked to far-right individuals during the same period, including one being investigated as terrorism.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
First Published:
February 22, 2026, 19:54 IST
News world France To Summon US Ambassador Over Remarks About Killing Of Far-Right Activist
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

1 hour ago
