After SC Setback, Trump Announces Fresh 10% Global Tariffs Over Existing Duties

2 hours ago

Last Updated:February 21, 2026, 00:19 IST

Trump announced that he would sign an order imposing a fresh 10 per cent global tariff, over and above existing duties.

 Reuters)

US President Donald Trump (Credits: Reuters)

US President Donald Trump on Friday announced a fresh round of global tariffs, declaring a 10 per cent levy over and above existing duties, hours after the US Supreme Court struck down his earlier sweeping tariff orders.

Reacting angrily to the ruling, Trump said the court’s decision would not derail his trade agenda and claimed he now had “stronger" alternatives to raise revenue.

“Effective immediately, all national security tariffs under Section 232 and existing Section 301 tariffs remain in place… Today, I will sign an order to impose a 10% global tariff under Section 122 over and above our normal tariffs already being charged," he said.

.@POTUS: “Effective immediately, all national security tariffs under Section 232 and existing Section 301 tariffs remain in place… Today, I will sign an order to impose a 10% global tariff under Section 122 over and above our normal tariffs already being charged." pic.twitter.com/LLMeyj92SE— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) February 20, 2026

“We have alternatives, great alternatives. It could be more money, we’ll take in more money," he said, adding, “I can charge more now."

Trump sharply criticised the top court, calling the verdict “deeply disappointing" and accusing some judges of lacking courage.

“I’m ashamed of certain members of the court, absolutely ashamed, of not having the courage to do what’s right for our country," he said.

He also alleged that the ruling had been influenced by foreign interests and said other countries were celebrating the decision.

“The court has been swayed by foreign interests and a political movement that is far smaller than people would ever think," Trump claimed. “They’re dancing in the streets, but they won’t be dancing for long."

Supreme Court Blow To Tariff Powers

Earlier in the day, the US Supreme Court delivered a significant setback to Trump’s tariff policy, ruling that his administration’s global tariffs were imposed without lawful authority, a decision that could potentially expose the US government to refund claims running into tens of billions of dollars.

In a 6-3 verdict, the court held that the Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) does not empower the president to unilaterally impose broad, across-the-board tariffs.

The 1977 law allows the executive to regulate certain international economic transactions during a national emergency but does not extend to blanket tariff measures, the court said.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Brett Kavanaugh dissented.

Writing for the majority, Chief Justice John Roberts said Congress has historically delegated tariff-setting powers only in “explicit terms and subject to strict limits."

Allowing the president to rely on IEEPA to impose sweeping tariffs, he warned, would amount to a “transformative expansion" of executive authority.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

Location :

United States of America (USA)

First Published:

February 21, 2026, 00:03 IST

News world After SC Setback, Trump Announces Fresh 10% Global Tariffs Over Existing Duties

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Full Article at Source