US Approves $825M In Arms Sale For Ukraine Under Trump Administration

8 hours ago

Last Updated:August 29, 2025, 06:48 IST

Ukraine is expected to finance the purchase using a combination of US foreign military financing and contributions from NATO allies.

This latest arms deal adds to two previously announced weapons packages from July (Reuters Image)

This latest arms deal adds to two previously announced weapons packages from July (Reuters Image)

The Trump administration has approved a new $825 million arms package for Ukraine, marking a significant escalation in US military support as the war with Russia enters its fourth year. The US State Department confirmed on Thursday that it had formally notified Congress of the sale, reported AP.

According to the notification, the proposed deal includes 3,350 Extended Range Active Missiles (ERAM), 3,350 GPS units, and a wide range of components, spare parts, accessories, training, and technical support. The package is designed to strengthen Ukraine’s defensive capabilities at a time of intensifying conflict.

The announcement comes just a day after Russia launched a deadly overnight missile barrage on Kyiv, killing at least 19 civilians in what has been described as one of the deadliest attacks in recent months.

“This proposed sale will support the foreign policy and national security objectives of the US by improving the security of a partner country that is a force for political stability and economic progress in Europe," the State Department said in an official statement.

Ukraine is expected to finance the purchase using a combination of US foreign military financing and contributions from NATO allies, including Denmark, the Netherlands, and Norway.

The arms deal follows recent diplomatic efforts by US President Donald Trump to mediate an end to the ongoing war. Trump met with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska on August 15, and with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on August 18. The goal, according to the administration, was to push both leaders toward bilateral negotiations, followed by a possible trilateral summit.

However, those efforts appear to have stalled following the recent spike in hostilities. In a press conference on Thursday, US media secretary Karoline Leavitt said the President was upset but not surprised by the renewed Russian attack. She also referenced recent Ukrainian strikes on two pipelines, suggesting that perhaps both sides do not want to see an end to this war.

This latest arms deal adds to two previously announced weapons packages from July. Those include a $322 million sale to improve Ukraine’s air defence and armoured combat vehicle capabilities, and a $330 million deal for additional air defence systems, along with maintenance and overhaul of self-propelled artillery vehicles.

The move comes amid Trump’s criticism of former President Joe Biden, accusing him of failing to give Ukraine strategic control in the war and advising a purely defensive posture.

Location :

Washington D.C., United States of America (USA)

First Published:

August 29, 2025, 06:48 IST

News world US Approves $825M In Arms Sale For Ukraine Under Trump Administration

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Full Article at Source