Last Updated:February 17, 2026, 13:28 IST
Marco Rubio clarified that the policy applies to all categories of temporary visitors, including students, tourists and journalists.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio. (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio reiterated that visas to the United States are “not a right" and warned that they will be revoked if foreign visitors engage in activities deemed contrary to American national security.
Rubio emphasised that visa permissions are conditional, as he said, “I’ve said this repeatedly. I don’t know why it’s so hard for some to comprehend it. No one is entitled to a visa. Visas are not a right. There is no constitutional right to a visa. A visa is permission to enter our country as a visitor."
Read more: Indian Man Detained By US Immigration Authorities On Child Sexual Assault Charges
Rubio clarified that the policy applies to all categories of temporary visitors, including students, tourists and journalists.
“Being a tourist, student or journalist, if you undertake activities against the national security and national interest of the United States, we will take away your visa," he said. He added that if authorities had prior knowledge of such activities, the visa likely would not have been issued in the first place.
The remarks come amid broader US efforts to tighten immigration and visa policies. Last month, the US State Department temporarily suspended immigrant visa approvals for nationals of 75 countries, citing concerns that migrants from these countries “take welfare from the American people at unacceptable rates." Countries affected by the pause include Somalia, Haiti, Iran, Cuba and Eritrea.
Read more: In Historic First, US Airlifts Micro Nuclear Reactor From California To Utah | Watch
Nonimmigrant visa applicants are now generally required to schedule interviews in their country of nationality or legal residence, effectively ending “visa shopping" in third countries. A new $250 Visa Integrity Fee, applicable to citizens from countries not on the US visa waiver list was introduced in October 2025.
In addition, eligibility for in-person interview waivers has been tightened, most student and exchange applicants must now disclose certain social media accounts and those with medically necessary devices must provide original letters from medical professionals when visiting consular sections.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
New York, United States of America (USA)
First Published:
February 17, 2026, 13:28 IST
News world 'No One Is Entitled To A US Visa': Marco Rubio Asserts Tough Stance On Foreign Visitors
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

1 hour ago
